The Arsenal Managers series
This series of articles reviews the history of Arsenal FC as a league club, through the success or otherwise of its managers.
“The Committee” managed the club from 1893 to 1897.
Here are the details we have on this period of management.
The Index of Managers
You can see a list of all Arsenal managers, and analyses of their success rates, games managed etc etc on the Managers Home Page
Articles on The Committee as managers
The case of Sam Hollis and Bill Parr – sometimes claimed as managers at this time
The men who played for The Committee
- 1: CA Williams: went on to manage Denmark and in Brazil.
- 2: J Powell: Our first captain who died of injuries on the pitch
- 3: WW Jeffrey: The right back who was a keeper
- 4: D Devine: Lost to history. (Scottish)
- 5: R Buist: I thought he caused us to go pro, but I was wrong. (Scottish)
- 6: D Howat: The mystery man
- 7: D Gemmell: Even more of a mystery man (Scottish)
- 8: J Henderson: Rifleman, champions medal, Arsenal, and then… (Scottish)
- 9: W Shaw: scored our first ever league goal
- 10: A Elliott: Arsenal’s untraceable record holder
- 11: C Booth: the first man to play for Arsenal and Tottenham?