The great History of Arsenal Competition 2012
We’ve got two copies of Woolwich Arsenal: the club that changed football to give away.
We’ve devised a rather cunning quiz to test your knowledge of Arsenal’s history. There are 20 questions below, all you have to do is answer as many questions as possible and send your answers to: Tony.Attwood@aisa.org – and put in the subject line WA COMPETITION
But wait, you like competitions but you already have a copy of the book. Then there’s two alternative prizes. First is a copy of Making the Arsenal (the story of 1910) and the alternative is a copy of, and lead sponsorship of the next book Royal Arsenal: the club that made football (which will be published next year)
So, the two people with most correct answers will win a copy of one of those three books. If there’s a tie we might even give away an extra copy.
We’ll announce the winners here. The closing date is 20 August 2012.
- Who captained Arsenal to three consecutive league titles in the 1930s?
- Which two Arsenal players scored their first goal for Arsenal in a Cup Final?
- The last player to score a hat-trick at home and away against the same opponents in the same season in the old First Division (i.e up to 1991-92) and the first player to do the same in the Premier League were both Arsenal players. Who were they?
- In the 1930-31 season, Arsenal scored a club record 127 league goals. They failed to score in only one league game. Who were their opponents?
- In which cup final did Arsenal field an all-English team?
- Which famous referee and football administrator was president of Arsenal during the 1980s?
- Who was the first player to play 100 league games for Woolwich Arsenal?
- Of players who have played more than 30 first team competitive games for Arsenal, which player has the best goals scored per game ratio?
- Which player made his Arsenal first team debut more than 14 years after make his reserve team debut for the club?
- What do Arsenal players John Rutherford, David Herd and George Eastham have in common?
- Which player won a league title medal even though he wasn’t an Arsenal player at the start or end of that season?
- During the 1940s and 1950s which team did Arsenal play annually for the Will Mather Manor House Cup?
- Which Arsenal player was the youngest ever to win a Premier League winners’ medal?
- Who is the only player in Arsenal’s all-time top 10 appearances list not to have played in a League and FA Cup winning double team?
- In which season did Arsenal field four different goalkeepers in four consecutive games in the same competition?
- Arsenal’s longest serving captain is Tony Adams between 1988 and 2003. Which Arsenal player was/is the second longest serving captain?
- Which future Arsenal player played as an emergency goalkeeper for his team against Arsenal at Highbury in 1991?
- Which Arsenal player scored four goals in a league game but was dropped for the FA Cup Final five days later?
- Which goalkeeper didn’t concede any goals in his first six league games for Arsenal?
- On 16 March 1935 Arsenal goalkeeper Frank Moss dislocated his shoulder during the game against Everton. As substitutes were not allowed one of his team mates replaced him and Moss played the rest of the game on the wing, going on to score a goal. Who replaced him in goal?
To give you some help you might want to take a look at Andy’s stats website (which should have a major update before the start of the new season).
Rules and regs
Judging in relation of any “almost correct” answers will be by the three authors of Woolwich Arsenal the club that changed football, and our decision is final, and there’s no cash equivalent to the prize. If no one gets at least half the questions right we reserve the right to extend the deadline for entries or run a new quiz. Anyone who posts answers on this site or others will be disqualified, and in the event of anything that looks like attempts to undermine the integrity of the competition we reserve the right to call a halt and resolve the matter as we think fit.