The journal of the AISA Arsenal History Society.
Current series: Pre-season games
The pre-season series thus far
- 1996: The pre-season games as Rioch was sacked and Wenger appointed.
- 1997: Norwich 2 Arsenal 6
- 1998: The Pre-season games. Back to sausages after the caviar.
- 1999: Games against Monaco and Saint-Étienne
- 2000: The big transfers but a poor pre-season
- 2001: Campbell arrives from Tottenham, and the prelims to the third double
- 2002: Gilberto’s first game in the tri-team tournament
- 2003: Pre-season warm ups. Celtic v Arsenal (revised & expanded 1/7/15)
- 2004: The Preseason in the midst of the 49
Other Recent stories
- The very odd case of Frank Ransom
- The wandering James Devlin, and an insight into the workings of the early game
- The curious life of Jimmy Dunne: Herbert Chapman’s last major signing
- When the anti-Arsenal menace and the media sank to the depths
- Winning the youth cup in 2009 – what is that team doing today?
- Arsenal become only the second team in the 20th/21st centuries to win the cup two years running, twice.
The Tom Whittaker era and its significance in Arsenal’s history
- The day the Arsenal directors vigorously attacked the FA in the Arsenal programme
- When the press were considered to be “fair and dignified”
- When Cup games just continued until there was a result! 1945/6.
- The Arsenal Dynasty: 1930 to 1956, and 8th June anniversaries
- How Tom Whittaker persuaded Chapman to make him a trainer with Arsenal, after his injury
- How did Tom Whittaker get Chapman to believe in him, and other anniversaries
Among the other recent Posts
- Ralph Guthrie: he played twice in goal for Arsenal in 1954
- Arsenal v Tottenham; when friendship broke out on 24 May
- The moment that changed it all: Arsenal looked towards professionalism
- Celebrating the birthday of one of our greatest players,
- 20 May Arsenal events: from the king’s funeral to the cup double
- The day Arsenal went to the wall, and the man who brought us back from the dead.
- 4 Arsenal cup finals and 4 last ever games.
- George Jobey, the real story of the man who scored the first Arsenal goal at Highbury
- From going bust to winning the cup.
- From the advert that made Chapman apply to Arsenal to scoring 7 and 8.
- From Bergkamp to Boldklubben Frem
- Ehud ‘Tim’ Rogers; a Welsh winger whose chances were limited
- The strange case of Jack Lee and Arsenal’s link to Chesterfield.
- The completely mysterious Archibald Low
- Nicolas Anelka: the man who could have played alongside Thierry Henry
- Jon Sammels: wonderful player, victim of the 1960s Anti-Arsenal “fans”
- Arsenal 7 Hibernian 1. Arsenal’s first televised game under the lights.
- Arsenal and Arsène Wenger create new FA Cup records
- Eddie Carr played 12 games for Arsenal and won us the league!
Site updates: we have recently done major updates on all the anniversary files from January to July, enlarging the details on each entry.
Please note: The full anniversaries index can be found here.
On this page you will find details of some of our recent research articles, plus details of today’s Arsenal anniversaries, and information on the books on Arsenal that we have published. The AISA Arsenal History Society is dedicated to recording Arsenal’s history in all its detail from all perspectives. If you would like to contribute research or a personal story please do write to Tony.Attwood@aisa.org
Reports on Arsenal’s current activities are on Untold Arsenal
Classic Articles from the Arsenal History Society
- The biggest injury problems ever faced by an Arsenal manager
- Arsenal’s promotion in 1919. At last, the truth
- Exclusive: The interview with George Davie – the man who sued Arsenal and overturned the transfer system.
- The article that led to the creation of the statues at the Emirates Stadium
If you would like to contribute an article to this site, please see this note on submissions etc.
The incomplete index of series on this site….
- Arsenal’s name and how it changed
- Arsenal and Tottenham
- Anti-Arsenal – those who try to put us down throughout history
- Arsenal’s Chronology
- Arsenal History Society news and discoveries
- Chairmen of Arsenal
- Corruption: The Review
- The First Double: 1971
- First Timers: The first time I saw Arsenal
- Iconic moments in the history of Arsenal
- Into the Darkness. Arsenal under Swindin
- Islington 100: celebrating 100 years of Arsenal in Islington
- London – how Arsenal fared in the early days against other London teams
- Managers – from Royal Arsenal to Mr Wenger
- Meet the ancestors- stories from the relatives of Arsenal players
- The origins of Arsenal
- Players, including updates on what players are doing now
- The Norris Files
- Statistics through the club’s history
- Woolwich Arsenal, the ground
- Woolwich Arsenal in the FA Cup – the full series
- Woolwich 100 – the players who played 100 or more times for WA
- Year by year: tracing the club’s history in detail
This site represents very much a forum for knocking around ideas and seeking out issues that can be debated. As such we openly acknowledge that some of the notions expressed here might be wrong, facts will be inaccurate and will need correcting. Indeed if you can help us do that, please do either comment on an article, or write a new article for us. Some citation of sources would be good however, rather than just saying “you’re wrong”.